Sweet and Sour Chicken
[typical values per 100g]:
Protein: 42.4 g
Carbohydrates: 74.6 g
Sugars: 19.1 g
Fat: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
Fiber: 5.7 g
Sodium: 635 mg
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Storage Info: N/A
1. Please note that this recipe requires 8 hours of marinating time, which is not reflected in the preparation time.
2. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into 1-inch pieces.
3. Place chicken, soy sauce and garlic (minced) in a resealable bag. Marinate 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare rice with water according to package directions. Keep warm.
5. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving marinade. Sauté chicken in oil and 1 tablespoon of the marinade until browned.
6. Place cooked chicken in a medium casserole dish lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Wash bell peppers and cut into thin strips. Wash, peel and slice onion thinly.
8. Sauté bell peppers and onion in additional 1 tablespoon of reserved marinade, adding more if necessary to prevent sticking.
9. Add cooked vegetables to the chicken in the casserole dish.
10. Drain pineapple chunks, reserving 2 tablespoons of the juice.
11. Combine pineapple juice, ¼ cup (2 ounces) of water, and ½ tablespoon (1-½ teaspoons) of the vinegar in a small bowl; stir to blend. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
12. Wash tomato and cut quarter into 2 wedges. Top casserole with pineapple chunks and tomato wedges.
13. Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
14. Serve sweet and sour chicken over bed of cooked rice. Sprinkle with almonds just before serving.
6 oz chicken breast, boneless/skinless, raw
1 tbsp soy sauce, reduced sodium
1 garlic clove
⅓ cup brown rice, uncooked
1 tsp canola oil
½ bell pepper, green, medium
¼ onion, yellow
½ cup pineapple chunks, canned in juice
1 ½ tbsp white rice vinegar
¼ tomato, medium
2 tsp almonds, slivered