Steak with Peppers
[typical values per 100g]:
Protein: 41.5 g
Carbohydrates: 76.6 g
Sugars: 20.3 g
Fat: 15.4 g
Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
Fiber: 8.7 g
Sodium: 403.7 mg
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Storage Info: N/A
1. Preheat broiler. Spray a broiler-pan rack with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Prepare rice with water according to package directions. Keep warm. Meanwhile, trim any fat from steak.
3. Combine garlic powder, black pepper and half of the salt (a pinch).
4. Rub both sides of the steak with the spice mixture; place steak on prepared rack and drizzle with ½ teaspoon of the vinegar.
5. Broil 5 to 6 inches away from heat for about 5 minutes, then turn steak and drizzle the second side with ½ teaspoon of vinegar.
6. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes longer for medium-rare or longer until desired doneness.
7. Transfer steak to a warmed plate, cover loosely with foil, and let stand for 5 minutes.
8. While steak is cooking, prepare cooked vegetables.
9. Wash bell peppers, remove core and membrane, and cut into thin slices. Wash and peel onion, and cut into thin slices.
10. Coat a medium skillet with olive oil, and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add the bell peppers and onions.
11. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender, adding up to 2 tablespoons of chicken stock, as necessary, to prevent sticking.
12. Add remaining ½ teaspoon of vinegar, remaining pinch of salt and any juices that have collected on the steak plate; simmer for 1 minute.
13. To serve, place steak on a bed of hot rice and spoon vegetables and pan juices around steak.
14. Enjoy a fresh orange for dessert.
⅓ cup brown rice, uncooked
6 oz beef tenderloin, raw
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp black pepper
⅛ tsp salt
1½ tsp balsamic vinegar
½ bell pepper, green, medium
½ red bell pepper, medium
½ onion, yellow
1½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp chicken broth, fat-free, low-sodium
1 orange, medium