New Orleans Red Beans & Rice
[typical values per 100g]:
Protein: 33.7 g
Carbohydrates: 87.2 g
Sugars: 7.7 g
Fat: 15.2 g
Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
Fiber: 13.7 g
Sodium: 737.7 mg
Preparation: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Storage Info: N/A
1. Prepare rice according to package directions; keep warm.
2. Dice onion, celery and bell pepper.
3. About 10 minutes before rice is ready, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring, until onion is lightly browned and tender, about 3 minutes.
5. Cut vegetarian sausage into bite-sized pieces.
6. Drain and rinse the beans. Place 2 Tablespoon of the beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
7. Add the mashed and whole beans, vegetarian sausage, ¼ cup of water, celery, bell pepper, cayenne and salt to the skillet.
8. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid has thickened into a gravy and vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
9. Place cooked rice in a bowl and top with beans.
10. Toss greens with halved tomatoes. Top with croutons and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy with rice and beans.
¼ cup brown rice, uncooked
¼ onion, yellow
½ celery stalk, medium
¼ bell pepper, green, medium
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp garlic, chopped
1 vegetarian sausage, Italian
½ cup kidney beans (cooked from dry or canned without salt)
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, ground
⅛ tsp salt
1 cup mixed salad greens
¼ cup tomatoes, cherry
2 tbsp croutons, plain, dry
2½ tsp salad dressing, low-fat, any flavor