Hearty Chicken and Lentil Soup Served with Whole Wheat Crackers
[typical values per 100g]:
Protein: 22.4 g
Carbohydrates: 28.4 g
Sugars: 2.8 g
Fat: 9.1 g
Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
Fiber: 5.6 g
Sodium: 205.3 mg
Preparation: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Storage Info: N/A
1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Sauté carrots, onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
3. Add broth, lentils, barley,and spices. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
4. In the meantime, dice cooked chicken. Add chicken and tomatoes to pot and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Serve soup topped with swiss cheese and a side of crackers.
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp carrot, chopped
2 tbsp onion, chopped
2 tbsp celery, fresh, diced
½ tsp garlic, chopped
⅔ cup broth, chicken, low sodium, canned
1 tbsp beans, lentils, pink, dry
1 tbsp barley, pearl or whole, uncooked
⅛ tsp oregano, dried
⅛ tsp black pepper
1 ½ oz chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked
2 tbsp tomatoes, diced, canned
½ tbsp cheese, Swiss, low fat, shredded
2 crackers, whole wheat