Curry Seasoned Beef and Vegetables with Brown Rice and Baby Carrots
[typical values per 100g]:
Carbohydrates: 83.2 g
Sugars: 34.3 g
Fat: 14.9 g
Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
Fiber: 7.5 g
Sodium: 447.1 mg
Preparation: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Storage Info: N/A
1. Add basil, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, rice and water to a pot. Bring to a boil, uncovered, on high heat; reduce heat to low, cover tightly and cook for about 40-45 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
2. In the meantime, cut steak in half lengthwise, then slice thinly across the grain.
3. Combine ginger, sugar, soy sauce, curry powder and beef broth. Set aside.
4. Sauté meat in hot oil, turning until almost completely browned.
5. Add onions, tomatoes and green pepper and sauté for 1-2 more minutes. Pour broth mixture over all and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Stir cornstarch in a cold water to dissolve. Pour over steak and stir until smooth and slightly thickened.
7. Serve steak with brown rice and a side of baby carrots.
8. Complement meal with cantaloupe and yogurt for a snack.
1 tsp basil, fresh, chopped
1 tsp parsley, fresh, chopped
1 bay leaf
⅛ tsp thyme, ground
¼ cup brown rice, uncooked
½ cup water
3 ½ oz beef, skirt steak, inside, lean, raw
⅛ tsp ginger, ground
⅛ tsp sugar
1 tsp soy sauce, reduced sodium
⅛ tsp curry powder
2 tbsp beef broth, low sodium
1 tsp canola oil
¼ cup onion, yellow, sliced
3 tbsp tomatoes, diced, unsalted, canned
2 tbsp bell pepper, green, chopped
¼ tsp cornstarch
10 baby carrots
1 cup melon, cantaloupe, fresh, cubes
6 oz yogurt, fat-free, favorite flavor