Chicken Pineapple Kabob
[typical values per 100g]:
Protein: 43.3 g
Carbohydrates: 76.7 g
Sugars: 30.3 g
Fat: 14.0 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Fiber: 7.7 g
Sodium: 669.8 mg
Preparation: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Storage Info: N/A
1. Please note that this recipe requires at least 4 hours of marinating time, which is not reflected in the preparation time.
2. Prepare rice according to package directions. Serve with margarine.
3. Meanwhile, cut chicken breast into 1-inch pieces; place in a resealable bag.
4. Drain pineapple chunks, reserving juice.
5. For marinade, combine 2 tbsp. of reserved pineapple juice with lemon juice and soy sauce; pour over chicken.
6. Seal bag and set in a shallow dish in the refrigerator. Marinate in refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
7. To prepare vegetables, wash red onion and cut into thin wedges; cut washed bell pepper into 1-inch chunks.
8. Drain the chicken, reserving marinade. Heat marinade for 1 minute in microwave on high setting.
9. Using 12-inch metal skewer, alternately thread chicken, onion, bell pepper, and pineapple chunks.
10. Brush kabob with the marinade. Preheat broiler.
11. Place kabob on broiler rack and broil until chicken is no longer pink and fruit is heated through, turning once halfway through broiling - about 10 to 14 minutes. (Kabobs may also be grilled over medium coals, if preferred.)
12. Brush kabobs with marinade after turning over. Meanwhile, prepare pea pods.
13. Wash and trim pea pods (if using fresh) and mince garlic.
14. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for one minute, stirring frequently, then add pea pods to skillet; cook until crisp-tender.
15. Serve chicken kabob over hot rice with pea pods on the side.
16. Enjoy fruit cocktail for dessert.
¼ cup brown rice, uncooked
1 tsp margarine, canola-based, trans-fat free
6 oz raw chicken breast, boneless/skinless
⅓ cup pineapple chunks, canned in juice
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce, reduced sodium
¼ red onion, medium
¼ red bell pepper, medium
4 oz snow pea pods, fresh or frozen
1 clove garlic
1 tsp canola oil
½ fruit cocktail, canned in juice